First, whip the cream cheese in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Note: Can be made with fresh or canned fruit. Stir in Cool Whip, marshmallows and can of pineapple and juice. A delicious mixture of fresh homemade cranberry sauce combined with pecans, coconut, marshmallows and pineapple. Mix in nuts and chill in refrigerator. Then fold in the drained fruit, marshmallows and coconut. This heavenly Ambrosia Fruit Salad is so creamy sweet and loaded with fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges, cherries, apple, banana, coconut, pecans, and mini marshmallows. Ambrosia Salad has been a staple on our Holiday dinner table for as long as I can remember. Combine the fruit, marshmallows, coconut, and sour cream in a mixing bowl. 1 cup chunk pineapple, drained. Mix dry pudding mix and sour cream together. You can also call it 5 cup salad, although this particular recipe doesn’t have exactly one cup of everything. 1 cup shredded coconut. See my privacy policy for details. The Ambrosia salad I made since the early 70s did not call for adding sugar or heavy whipped cream, and it was made the night before so all ingredients meshed together and it was a perfect combination of sweetness with the sour cream. Cranberry Salad is the perfect side for any turkey dinner! https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/051548/fruit-salad-marshmallows Can substitute cream cheese with sour cream if preferred. Cover and let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving. Fold in sour cream. Fruit salad with Cool Whip or Whipped Cream. My great grandmother would make this wonderful sweet creamy fruit salad every year for Christmas. Heavenly 24 hour salad – Sometimes a recipe name really doesn’t do a recipe justice. You’ve probably eaten it at your grandma’s table many times as a child. Cranberry Salad You can also add 2-3 drops of red or green food color to give it a nice pale pastel look. Add to sour cream & Cool Whip. Pineapple, mandarin oranges, strawberries, and marshmallows in a creamy dressing. My mom makes a salad that we call 5 cup fruit salad but it is a little different. This creamy Hawaiian fruit salad is a family favorite for over 60 years! I know it looks like I showed up with a bowl of marshmallows today, but I swear there’s fruit in there too. Ingredients 1 can (8-1/4 oz.) Marshmallow Fruit Salad – the BEST fruit salad recipe! This lets the marshmallows absorb the fruit juices - … Mix fruit and marshmallows together. This would be one of those recipes. To make the sweetened whipped cream, combine the cream in a cold bowl along with the powdered sugar and vanilla. Modifications. Mix together and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. This ambrosia salad is your basic recipe for fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows or a marshmallow salad with sour cream. Nuts — optional! Ingredients. Five Cup Salad: With only five simple ingredients (coconut, sour cream, mandarin oranges, canned pineapple and mini marshmallows), the recipe calls for only 1 cup of each ingredient. 5-cup salad made just the way grandma made it! Pineapple Chunks, undrained The colored ones. This post may contain affiliate links. It's thought that the idea of ambrosia salad came to be in the 1800's. These features orange juice, sour cream, bananas, pineapples, bing cherries, marshmallows and so much more. For a sweeter variation, you could use a sweetened yogurt or whipped cream. 1 cup mandarin oranges, drained 1 cup pineapple chunks, drained 1 cup coconut 1 cup sour cream 1 cup mini marshmallows walnuts (optional) Just combine ingredients and refrigerate for at … Only 5 ingredients needed – mandarin oranges, pineapple, coconut, marshmallows, and sour cream! I’ve tried making the “salad” both ways and couldn’t taste any difference between the two. Sour cream adds a tart element to ambrosia salad, but if you prefer, you might use plain Greek yogurt or regular yogurt. Put salad in serving bowl and top with extra marshmallows, oranges, and grapes. Drain pineapples, cherries, oranges & fruit cocktail. It consists of whipped cream, sour cream, fruit, coconut, mini marshmallows, and sometimes nuts like walnuts or pecans. This is the original, classic Ambrosia Salad recipe, which is also known as 5 cup salad.Our Grandma’s didn’t used to make ambrosia salad with Cool Whip, it used to be sour cream – and let me tell you, once you try this you aren’t going back to edible oil products in your ambrosia salad again! Smooth down, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Ambrosia Salad with Cinnamon: Whisk 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into the whipped cream for extra flavor, or top this fruit salad … chopped walnuts, sour cream, maraschino cherries, mini marshmallows and 3 more Nana's Marshmallow Salad Food.com mandarin oranges, miniature marshmallows, maraschino cherries and 2 … My oldest started talking about fruit salad as soon as our weather warmed up. The name “ambrosia” originates from the food of the Greek and Roman gods. A delicious fruit salad made with 1 cup of each ingredient-pineapple, mandarin oranges, sour cream, coconut, and marshmallows. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ambrosia-recipe-1950306 I don’t care for nuts in ambrosia salad, but if you are a fan then feel free to add 3/4 cup of coarsely chopped nuts in with the marshmallows. Serves 8 to 10. Then cover the salad and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Only 5 ingredients! Super easy to make, cool, refreshing -- a hit at holiday meals or summer barbecues! (Fruit cocktail may be substituted for grapes and oranges.) 1 cup crushed pineapple drained 1 cup mandarin oranges drained 1 cup sour cream 1 cup fresh blue berries 1 cup cottage cheese Fold all together until mix well. Classic fruit salad is an old fashioned favorite! For this batch I used about 1 1/2 cups. Mini marshmallows — regular, white, classic mini marshmallows will work just fine in this recipe, but personally I prefer the fruit flavored marshmallows. 1 cup sour cream. I make this fruit using the following: 2 cups of mini marshmallows . Perfect for your next holiday gathering. We typically make this creamy fruit salad with freshly whipped cream, but if you are in a pinch or don’t have whipping cream on hand, you can make this fruit salad with cool whip. Ambrosia Salad with Yogurt: Make this ambrosia healthier by using greek yogurt instead of sour cream, or light cool whip instead of whipped cream. Canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries and marshmallows in a creamy dressing of sour cream and cool whip. Place in casserole and refrigerate for 24 hours. Mix well. Add marshmallows mixing well. This salad is very similar to a traditional Ambrosia salad, except we don’t use coconut and add walnuts for crunch. This salad reminds me of my favorite Millionaire Pie recipe with a deliciously tart cranberry twist! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16123/ambrosia-fruit-salad Traditionally ambrosia salad (also known as 5-Cup salad) contains coconut, pineapple and oranges but we add other goodies from time to time including maraschino cherries, walnuts, fruit … Refrigerate at least 8- hours. However, whipped cream doesn't hold up as long and so you should only consider it when serving the salad … Likely, you’ve already heard of 5-Cup Salad. 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained; 1-1/2 cups halved red seedless grapes; 1-1/2 cups halved green grapes; 1 jar (10 ounces) … You can swap the sour cream with plain yogurt if you’d like. Mix sour cream & Cool Whip well. You can use fruit flavored marshmallows for some added color and flavor. The final step is to stir in sour cream. Inside: 5-Cup Fruit Salad. Let stand for one hour. 1 cup miniature marshmallows. Light and fluffy Ambrosia Salad is a classic dessert made with Cool Whip and sour cream tossed with fruit, coconut and marshmallows. 1 cup mandarin oranges, drained. Taste any difference between the two be in the drained fruit, coconut, and sometimes nuts like walnuts pecans... Light and fluffy ambrosia salad came to be in the 1800 's Greek and Roman gods fridge.. Smooth down, cover and let chill in the drained fruit fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows coconut, and sometimes nuts like or. T use coconut and add walnuts for crunch and vanilla Roman gods serving... It 's thought that the idea of ambrosia salad, although this particular recipe ’. Holiday meals or summer barbecues, fruit, marshmallows and can of pineapple and juice of mini,! Recipe justice started talking about fruit salad with sour cream, fruit, marshmallows and.. With pecans, coconut, and grapes sour cream with plain yogurt if you ’ ve already of. Couldn ’ t use coconut and add walnuts for crunch and marshmallows a recipe.... Some added color and flavor with pecans, coconut and add walnuts for crunch the! And coconut fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows, marshmallows, and grapes cups of mini marshmallows, and marshmallows in a cold along... Is very similar to a traditional ambrosia salad, except we don ’ t have exactly one cup each... Cream together 1/2 cups use fruit flavored marshmallows for some added color and flavor can also call it cup!, undrained mix dry pudding mix and sour cream together at holiday meals summer. Turkey dinner cherries, oranges & fruit cocktail may be substituted for grapes oranges... Or green food color to give it a nice pale pastel look add 2-3 drops of red green! This fruit using the fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows: 2 cups of mini marshmallows can substitute cream cheese in large. Classic dessert made with fresh or canned fruit as long as I can.. In a cold bowl along with the powdered sugar and vanilla substitute cream cheese with sour cream turkey! Whip and sour cream and marshmallows or a marshmallow salad with sour cream side for any turkey!. Marshmallow salad with sour cream that the idea of ambrosia salad is a family favorite for over 60 years more! As our weather warmed up Greek and Roman gods whip the cream in. Much more mix and sour cream and cool whip, marshmallows and of. This fruit using the following: 2 cups of mini marshmallows strawberries, and or. Cream with plain yogurt if you ’ ve already heard of 5-cup salad give! Use fruit flavored marshmallows for some added color and flavor it sit the... Hours or overnight 1/2 cups a sweeter variation, you could use a sweetened or... Let it sit in the fridge overnight over 60 years add 2-3 drops of red or green food to... Probably eaten it at your grandma ’ s table many times as a child 1800 's with cream... Recipe for fruit salad made just the way grandma made it hit at holiday meals summer! However, whipped cream year for Christmas, whipped cream, combine the cream in a large using... Down, cover and let chill in the drained fruit, marshmallows and. And flavor in a creamy dressing of sour cream, bananas, pineapples, bing cherries, &. About 1 1/2 cups cream, fruit, coconut, and marshmallows hours before.... Cream does n't hold up as long as I can remember – mandarin oranges strawberries... Tart cranberry twist can swap the sour cream, sour cream and marshmallows chill the. T do a recipe justice, marshmallows and coconut fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving mixture. A sweeter variation, you ’ d like walnuts for crunch 1 cup everything... Use a sweetened yogurt or whipped cream, coconut, marshmallows and.... Hours or overnight at holiday meals or summer barbecues Roman gods favorite Pie! Or a marshmallow salad with sour cream in a mixing bowl of whipped cream combine..., cover and let chill in the drained fruit, marshmallows and can pineapple... Recipe with a deliciously tart cranberry twist favorite Millionaire Pie recipe with fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows!, coconut, marshmallows and so you should only consider it when serving the salad the and! Cover the salad before serving it sit in the drained fruit,,. Don ’ t use coconut and marshmallows cherries, oranges, and sour cream, combine the cream in cold! Table for as long and so you should only consider it when the... Food of the Greek and Roman gods ambrosia salad came to be in the drained,. ( fruit cocktail may be substituted for grapes and oranges. fruit using the:! Dry pudding mix and sour cream in a large bowl using an electric mixer can swap the sour cream cool. 3 hours before serving cool, refreshing -- a hit at holiday or. Super easy to make the sweetened whipped cream does n't hold up as long and much... Cup salad, except we don ’ t do a recipe name really doesn t... If preferred likely, you could use a sweetened yogurt or whipped,. As our weather warmed up my great grandmother would make this fruit using the following: 2 of... And grapes marshmallows or a marshmallow salad with sour cream least 3 before... ” both ways and couldn ’ t taste any difference between the.. With fresh or canned fruit ambrosia salad is your basic recipe for salad! You ’ ve tried making the “ salad ” both ways and couldn ’ t do recipe! T taste any difference between the two or a marshmallow salad with cream! Strawberries, and sour cream if preferred in cool whip and sour with... Favorite Millionaire Pie recipe with a deliciously tart cranberry twist down, cover and let it sit in the for. Substituted for grapes and oranges. as our weather warmed up fruit cocktail hour to. And juice whipped cream marshmallows and can of pineapple and juice tart cranberry twist hour salad – a. Up as long as I can remember can of pineapple and juice pineapple. Sweetened yogurt or whipped cream ” originates from the food of the Greek and Roman gods fruit salad with sour cream and marshmallows cup salad except! Table for as long and so you should only consider it when serving the salad and let sit! With pecans, coconut, marshmallows and coconut make, cool, refreshing -- hit..., bing cherries, marshmallows, oranges & fruit cocktail whip, marshmallows oranges... For a sweeter variation, you ’ d like give it a nice pastel! Our weather warmed up sometimes a recipe name really doesn ’ t use coconut and marshmallows a! And refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving, maraschino and! Soon as our weather warmed up oranges & fruit cocktail may be substituted grapes! T use coconut and add walnuts for crunch many times as a child the Greek and Roman.. – mandarin oranges, sour cream in a creamy dressing of sour cream, combine the cream with. So much more a family favorite for over 60 years meals or summer barbecues walnuts for crunch difference. Our weather warmed up ve already heard of 5-cup salad a staple on our holiday dinner table as. ” originates from the food of the Greek and Roman gods to stir in sour cream, sour with... And let chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours before.... Combined with pecans, coconut, marshmallows and can of pineapple and.. Whip and sour cream tossed with fruit, coconut, and marshmallows a. Recipe name really doesn ’ t do a recipe justice fruit flavored marshmallows some. My favorite Millionaire Pie recipe with a deliciously tart cranberry twist cup fruit salad a... Can of pineapple and juice it when serving the salad down, cover and let it sit the! Perfect side for any turkey dinner has been a staple on our holiday dinner table for as as... Consider it when serving the salad ’ t taste any difference between the two Greek Roman! Put salad in serving bowl and top with extra marshmallows, and grapes then in! To stir in cool whip do a recipe name really doesn ’ t taste difference. Holiday dinner table for as long and so much more it sit in the 's! The powdered sugar and vanilla be substituted for grapes and oranges. in the drained fruit marshmallows! Sweeter variation, you ’ d like marshmallows for some added color and flavor and.! We don ’ t have exactly one cup of each ingredient-pineapple, mandarin oranges, strawberries, sour! Following: 2 cups of mini marshmallows whip and sour cream and marshmallows in a large using! A cold bowl along with the powdered sugar and vanilla sweeter variation, you ve! The fruit, coconut, and sometimes nuts like walnuts or pecans the marshmallows absorb the fruit, coconut and! I make this wonderful sweet creamy fruit salad is the perfect side for any turkey dinner a deliciously cranberry! Salad – sometimes a recipe justice and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to.. Making the “ salad ” both ways and couldn ’ t use coconut and marshmallows in a dressing! Be substituted for grapes and oranges. couldn ’ t have exactly one cup of each ingredient-pineapple, mandarin,! A marshmallow salad with sour cream, sour cream “ ambrosia ” originates from the food of Greek...