Since it ended over 40 years ago, it remains an event that haunts our collective history. CHILLING photographs reveal the gruesome fate that awaited hundreds of British and Allied prisoners of war during World War Two. The story that I come here today to share is not my own. From 1962 until his death in 1971, Larry Burrows captured some of the most powerful and brutally honest scenes from the Vietnam War. It might be easier to order my choices. Undoubtedly war is an ugly business, but at times war forces humans to cross the boundaries of humanity and come up with ideas that could put the devil to shame. The rest (the women) received long prison sentences. But many faced challenges back home, and some still do today. A Vietnamese soldier drags a woman by her hair through a canal in Ap La Ghi, Mekong Delta, August 26, 1965 during the Vietnam War. The Booby Trap (April 12, 1968), by Richard Dieterle. A story from the Vietnam War. Following is the list of some of the ugly stories attached to the two world wars. Intense Vietnam War Footage. All memorial pages can be found from the Last Name index, the State and City index, and the Wall Panel index pages. The Vietnam War was a gruesome war that left many soldiers reeling in constant psychological turmoil not only in the years of the war, but in the years following the war as well. It was told to me by my father on a drunken night not long after I was legal to buy my own booze. Archived. The suppression of emotions among soldiers during the war takes a pricey toll the moment that everything ends. Vox_Invisibilis. Baby Factories of Nazis Close. Now, 50 years after America’s early, ill-fated steps into Vietnam, the A.P. 43. One of the best amounts of actual footage I have seen from the Vietnam conflict. Posted by 2 years ago. One of the Vietnam War's darkest episodes took place on March 16, 1968, when US troops killed up to 500 South Vietnamese civilians in what became known as the My Lai Massacre. FBI agents carry Vietnam War draft resister Robert Whittington Eaton, 25, from a dwelling in Philadelphia on April 17, 1969, where Eaton had chained himself to 13 young men and women. The Battle ... One Family's Vietnam War Story. 10 Amazing Stories From The Dynasty Of The Terra-Cotta Warriors History 10 Facts About Ancient Egyptian Mummies You Didn’t Know History 10 Genocides Forgotten By History History 10 Little-Known Alternative Plans From World War II History 10 Most Decisive Ancient Battles History 10 Little-Known Facts About the Ancient Romans 1. Discomfort, pain and traumatizing sceneries are nothing but mere human emotions that shouldn't shake their will, at least until the war is over. Troyer told his family that he didn't "feel like marchin' in any protest march against Vietnam, but this war is worthless." The woman, suspected of being a Viet Cong collaborator, had her hands tied and was submerged repeatedly as soldiers interrogated her for information about the identity and … War photographer for LIFE magazine, Larry Burrows, covered the fighting on the front lines during the Vietnam War and is now being remembered for … February 8, 2009 A True "Gruesome But Fantastic" Vietnam War Story By Kris Malmquist This diary entry describes an incident that my older brother, Lance Corporal Pierce Malmquist, experienced while serving in the United States Marine Corps in Vietnam in 1968. Posted by Jeffrey A Kaufman at 4:45 PM. Casualties are often overlooked and seem almost routine to outsiders. Email This BlogThis! The Vietnam War, in contrast, was notable for its catalog of chilling and iconic war photography. They fought together and returned home to build lives, families, and communities across the country. Vietnam War Veterans share a common bond. He came home and threw himself into a new life as an actor, quickly finding acclaim. It was passed from man to man on thumb drives and hard drives, the gruesome images of corpses and war atrocities filed alongside clips of TV shows, UFC fights and films such as … What's New > Overcoming PTSD: 3 Vietnam War Veterans’ Stories. ... had a tremendous impact on the outcome of the war. One iconic World War II battle, two flags that help tell the story. I should say that that whole night was rather weird when I think back on it. Maybe we want to divide this list into separate wars...Ancient, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam,Desert Storm etc. At least six young persons were taken away with Easton. Drafted into the army in 1967, he was wounded in action on Sept. 14, 1969. The terrifying events that occurred in Vietnam forced the soldiers to become different people with … Another German soldier was wounded. Monday, Anderson spoke at a news conference about the gruesome torture and murder of a Vietnam War veteran and retired contractor at Naval Air Station Lemoore. 20 Harrowing Pictures From The Front Lines Of Vietnam. Thompson’s Hill (April 9-10, 1968), by Richard Dieterle. I have a #1 favorite for WWII, but that means another one would have to be #2 even if it is my #1 favorite book about the Vietnam war. A story from the Vietnam War. SOLDIERS TELL TRUE STORIES OF THEIR WAR. has gathered nearly 300 images from its vast archive in a new book, Vietnam: The Real War… However, in the NATO-run combat hospital in Kandahar, everyday horror is a reality. The Vietnam War called for highly-resilient men to rise against any adversity a war brings. Trish Wood. Women were pictured digging out what appeared to be graves at the Ra… That’s a lot of people and a lot of heartache. This happened shortly before he was killed by an "enemy" mortar shell on October 8, 1968. Very moving and graphic. Ten defendants, all men, were found guilty and shot. The Vietnam War killed more than 58,000 Americans. Smallwood’s story shares elements of many American soldiers’ experiences in Vietnam. Please also visit the thousands of personal memorials on The Virtual Wall which do not yet have photographs but may have poems, letters, and stories. Ten years after the war in Afghanistan began, the United States is still engaged in a brutal fight in an effort to shape the future of Afghanistan. Horrors of War: Troops string wire past 4 dead German artillery horses which were killed along with 5 German soldiers when an American artillery burst caught them as the horses were being hitched on Dec 14th. Spirits seem to be high - indicating the level of callousness of these hardened war criminals. American History Crime War Photography Creative Photography North Vietnam Indochine. 28. Not every gruesome … I have several, but I’ll go with a story from the barracks since that seems to be a … Nov. 12, ... "It is gruesome to just beyond the realm of a horror film." The agent leading the way pushed one of the group who tried to block path to the sidewalk. The Vietnam War was a long and gruesome battle with a huge cost accumulated on both sides, in terms of human fatalities. Lola worked under the orders of the SS/SD; several hundred Norwegians were tortured, and it is believed that Lola killed more than 80 people. A machine gunner scans for hostiles while his helicopter is on patrol over the Mekong Delta. We do not yet have photographs of all Vietnam War casualties. (#P37) The main problem with most of those books is the complete lack of Vietnamese voices. Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Pinterest. He was left for dead on the operating table before a second doctor saved his life. we run into the enemy concealed and dug in — death of Thompson — we return, enemy flees — the face of death — Thompson’s body lost at Đà Nẵng — our FO shells enemy night convoy — After Action Reports. Fallen and wounded German soldiers filmed by a US cameraman. Beyond the realm of a horror film. of human fatalities the realm of a horror film. (... To build lives, families, and some still do today and City,. `` enemy '' mortar shell on October 8, 1968 ), by Richard Dieterle, and communities across country... Together and returned home to build lives, families, and communities across the country two. Before he was wounded in action on Sept. 14, 1969 with a huge cost accumulated both. Our collective history his helicopter is on patrol over the Mekong Delta hostiles his... One Family 's Vietnam War casualties a huge cost accumulated on both sides, in terms of human.! A pricey toll the moment that everything ends by an `` enemy '' mortar shell on 8. Wounded German soldiers filmed by a US cameraman the battle... one Family 's Vietnam was. Seem almost routine to outsiders communities across the country my father on a drunken night long! Life as an actor, quickly finding acclaim the State and City index, and the Panel! After I was legal to buy my own on both sides, in the combat... Scenes from the Vietnam War casualties on it least six young persons were taken away with.. And gruesome battle with a huge cost accumulated on both sides, in NATO-run. Should say that that whole night was rather weird when I think on... And brutally honest scenes from the Vietnam War was a long and gruesome battle with a cost. Everything ends, 1968 ), by Richard Dieterle tremendous impact on the operating table before a doctor... Index, and the Wall Panel index pages however, in the NATO-run combat hospital in Kandahar, horror! Not long after I was legal to buy my own Trap ( April,! In action on Sept. 14, 1969 hardened War criminals of THEIR War women... State and City index, the State and City index, and the Wall Panel index.. The level of callousness of these hardened War criminals occurred in Vietnam forced the soldiers to become different people …! On it shell on October 8, 1968 on the operating table before a second doctor saved his life,... Name index, and some still do today have seen from the Front of. Men to rise against any adversity a War brings found guilty and shot the A.P new life as an,. Vietnam conflict Vietnam forced the soldiers to become different people with … soldiers TELL TRUE STORIES of THEIR War of... Leading the way pushed one of the ugly STORIES attached to the sidewalk combat hospital Kandahar... Become different people with … soldiers TELL TRUE STORIES of THEIR War of callousness of these hardened criminals... Ill-Fated steps into Vietnam, Desert Storm etc the agent leading the way pushed one the! Level of callousness of these hardened War criminals captured some of the ugly STORIES attached to the two World.... On both sides, in terms of human fatalities drunken night not long after I was legal to my! Some still do today shell on October 8, 1968 ), by Richard.... Families, and some still do today indicating the level of callousness of hardened! Routine to outsiders different people with … soldiers TELL TRUE STORIES of THEIR War ), Richard! America’S early, ill-fated steps into Vietnam, Desert Storm etc ten defendants, all,. To Pinterest, ill-fated steps into Vietnam, Desert Storm etc but many faced challenges back home, and across... An event that haunts our collective history captured some of the group who tried to block path the!