Know you & your staff are putting in a lot of hard work, but please keep it up! I was a bit disappointed I didn’t see her mentioned in either this blog post or other comments (though I didn’t scroll through all of them…) It seems like only high end design is featured in this style round up, though it seems like a perfect opportunity to highlight the work that some have been doing for years in a much more accessible way…, I mentioned Gwen as well, her design aesthetic is attainable but so lush! The Victorian interior design is a style that combines traditional and contemporary-modern styles. I’ve been trying to fit in more modern lighting and furniture to freshen things up while using paint and restraint to keep the highlights on the original detail. You have to color block victorian to make it modern. Our goal is to try to get you to embrace a style with a piece or two as well. Textured pieces. Thank you so much for all the visual candy! Victorian houses are chameleons. Thank you! 4 of 10 Thomas J . Do you love it? My brother has for years been trying to pawn off my great-grandmother’s Victorian settee on me…while I can appreciate all of its glorious potential, it won’t work with the rest of my life…but I’m glad to tell him this style is coming around and maybe he can either enjoy its trendiness or find someone else who will love it! I’m so into adding Victorian vibes to a modern space. Love this juxtaposition of old and new, and echoing this request for a post on working with stained woodwork! Keep it Light. Those who love the curves and carving of Victorian furniture need to carefully look at their upholstery choices if they want to avoid things looking stuffy. That said, I’m not sold on the whole fringed furniture look… maybe because my Mum had for most of my childhood a matching settee and two arm chairs that were velvet, tufted, button backed and fringed in emerald green. its in the zeitgeist. Another option is using more modern furniture with clean lines but upholstering the furniture in Victorian patterns like floral or damask. Decorative wainscoting paneling was also very common, along with stained glass and wrought ironwork. there are more of them popping up. In this style the Victorian floral has been enlarged which makes it feel more modern and abstract. Victorian Home Decor Ideas With Chic Modern Style. Velvet, tufting and fringed pieces are some of the key anchor points of Modern Victorian interior. A mix of the old with the new is key in making this work in an applicable and livable way. This was such an inspiring post. Location | CAMBRIDGE, MA Completed | 2019 Architecture and Interior Design | WALKER ARCHITECTS General Contractors | CAMBRIDGEPORT CONSTRUCTION GILLMAN GUIDELLI & BELLOW CUSTOM BUILDERS B P DONOGHUE CARPENTERS Landscape Design | MATTHEW CUNNINGHAM LANDSCAPE DESIGN, LLC Photography | JANE MESSINGER The colour palette used in Victorian Design … White would have looked more modern and provided a better backdrop. I got to fringe, BTW, with an embroidered silk shawl of my grandmother’s. Eton of Bath’s team of 12 designers and project managers can help you create stunning rooms and spaces within your home. Anywhere and everywhere that you can add fringing or tufting is very much acceptable in this style. I am so excited about this series! I love rooms with plenty of natural light, but I prefer to be surrounded in dark-painted walls with strong, moody colors. Or fill out the form below. This interior style produces a very strong look of luxury, elegance, grande and looks very classy. I feel like you can definitely integrate some of this Victorian/Edwardian style there, while keeping it modern, family friendly, and at a cost you can swallow for resale. The design … dark green office. What a great post, breaking down all the elements making it easier to understand how to incorporate it into your own home. picture this – an all white or black lamp with the same color shade with fringe. Now that you’ve showed me the way for our ceiling lighting fixture, I have to go search carefully for curtains and shades for this look. I love to hear/read about what you see as up and coming trends, perhaps even more so when they aren’t exactly in the wheelhouse of what I put in my own home. xx. These cookies do not store any personal information. This led to the characteristic “busy” look of Victorian design. Eh. I don’t care for white walls or cool/crisp/breezy spaces at all. But if you are going to go for, then take after nonother than the queen of “going for it” Kelly Wearstler, who used this abstract wallpaper in her entryway and took the more antique and victorian feeling space to very modern place. Textured pieces. Victorian Interior Design Example. They have an ornate design with beautiful detailing and vintage artifacts. Modern Victorian interior design elements to luxe up any home. ... we reveal her interior style secrets. I agree. I work for a furniture outlet and we have some beautiful velvet tufted pieces, but customers shy away from them because they’re a bit formal. Jefferson Smith I’m not 100% on board with those particular pieces, but the idea is interesting. The Victorian Interior Design is one that exudes class and elegance. Victorian Interiors Social and Cultural Influences on Victorian Interior Design A Victorian house was arranged like a mom-and-pop retail shop with the display area up front and family quarters and service areas at the rear. think of 1930’s style hotels that are popping up. I.e. We are less interested in creating a stark, modern look in a period property. Not everything with that kind of detailing works with all types of furniture. But it isn’t just for furniture. It would be interesting to see a post about making an older space with stained wood feel modern and fresh. that navy sofa with the tufting and navy fringe is perfect, against a white or navy wall is better. I LOVE, love, love this post. Ha! So I think our research is more aesthetically based, not historically. Ron Nathan Interiors | Bergen County | Phone: 201-666-8185Website Design by Connective Web Design. One distinctive feature of Victorian interior design is the separation of space. I’m loving all the greens in paint and upholstery and the dark dramatic floral patterns are awesome. Velvet, tufting and fringed pieces are some of the key anchor points of Modern Victorian interior. As well as the sofa below that again employs the solid velvet mixed with a stripe to modernize the bones of an old piece. but boy did I love that place and I soaked up the production design (kudos to them). I’m not for fringe (thought my cats would disagree), but I’m all for velvet, florals, and deep colors. we want to know, are you into this trend? I found this to be so intriguing and new but also applicable and realistic. Victorian Interior Design remained true to times past. It is one of the most popular interior designs for homes as well as beauty salons and spas in Singapore.. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. navy blue living room. See more ideas about modern victorian, house interior, house extension design. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I don’t claim to be an expert at all, but it’s really very interesting and I highly recommend reading into it more. You can also modernize the Victorian form and style with a more updated color and fabric treatment like they did in the next few examples. Crumbling walls might not be the most livable and we are pretty certain that this space might be a set what with that peeling wallpaper but it echoes our point of how bringing in a modern piece of lighting can update the room and bring it to a more modern look. I lived in an super charming Dutch Colonial for years and it had absolutely gorgeous woodwork in it. Wood was the most common flooring, with many homes having parquet wood patterns. When pulling this into your own home, like many of the other concepts – start small. Therefore, the design of modern housing in a pure Victorian spirit – the idea is almost fantastic, but it is possible to implement its main features. Agreed, I instantly thought of Gwen’s home. Specifically when it deals with the details on the furniture in these types of rooms. Contributor. That said, I just feel sort of claustrophobic and like I’m at my grandma’s house looking at most of these images. Victorian design and style employed quite a bit of floral and botanical use and this more Modern Victorian style does the same, just in a bigger and more abstract way. When you were designing your current home I remember you saying things like ‘make sure the hard fixtures in your home fit the architectural style’ which I hated to hear and didn’t listen to–luckily for once! So how do you do this in your home without it feeling or looking like a thrift store? I love how this makes the old seem new, and the new can really shine if you pick the right pieces and curate the environment correctly. I have liked this style for a LONG time and I’m so happy to see you talk about it!! This room has an obviously antique bedframe but then is paired with a more modern wardrobe, an abstract rug and a modern light above it all which makes it feel more fresh and fun. I am a Modern Victorian! But as a daily editorial site whose job it is to navigate the new, weird and often obscure trends or styles that are becoming popular in peoples homes and in the design world, today we are taking this time to introduce you to what we are dubbing “Modern Victorian”, which we predict to be a big trend in 2018. YES!! It was typically at the front with a projecting bay window. The new simplicity is really lovely. The modern world is full of a variety of interior styles and sometimes it is difficult to decide which style is more … It made me want to do a post to show that it can work, but FYI it will always be darker so that is something you kinda have to comes to terms with. A window-filled tower helps an old Victorian house see the light. Developing a modern Victorian interior could be accomplished by carefully harmonizing both designs together. Both which feature old antique portraits but in a more modern gallery wall with some modern pieces in the room. However, certain distinctive features show up again and again in Victorian homes. YES!! It is again about the mixing of styles and eras that you typically wouldn’t place together but again make it such a unique finished product. The period involved a lot of focus on trendiness and individualism, so there was a lot of change and variety. I agree, I would love to see a post on working with/around stained woodwork! They incorporated cutting-edge technlogies with new materials like Lincrusta (basically decorative linoloeum) and the brand spanking new gas/electric – and then eventually fancy ALL electric – lights. . I’ve never cared for the Victorian “look’ but I’ve had a change of heart. Me, too. That said, it's better to stay with lighter colors as opposed to dark ones. Victorian interior design - Buildings & houses. Victorian style homes with their trademark turrets and decorative details are super charming. I love this post so much. Most people who own a Victorian home want some small sense of modern design in their home, and those who don’t own a Victorian crave the Victorian quality and character that seems hard to come by now-a-days. LOVE THIS! I learn so much from you every day! This floral stair tread mural is serving up some major Modern Victorian vibes and we love how it still feels modern but in a subtle way as the material is antique but the application of it is modern. X. Keep in mind: Price and stock could change … If we haven’t pounded already into your heads that Modern Victorian is all about the mixing of two contrasting elements then this one will illustrate it even further. Thank you for this insight! Just today a friend of mine was looking at a house with a ton of medium-toned wood paneling and it was gorgeous. Since this is an emerging trend, I’d love to see some ideas for incorporating the moody of a Victorian Revival space without having to turn into Mrs Haversham and cover every surface in novelties and clutter. My favorite thing about most of these spaces is the use of rich, dark colors. If you are into the look then you can simply find an antique piece (or one that you already own) and give it a new lease on life with an upholstery job similar to what is in the inspiration pictures. Really looking forward to more! see? Something old has always been something that has artistic value and uniqueness. This one echoes some of the statement walls that we saw above in the floral concept, however with this one it is about one feature wall acting as a statement in the room. For centuries, all the color in a home came from vegetable based dyes that had soft, muted, earth toned colors. Lighten Up: Proof That Victorian Homes Can Be Modern and Bright ... To amp-up the drama of Victorian decorating, the design firm reimagines heavy Victorian curtains for the modern era and uses an eye-catching floor-to-ceiling stained glass window as a focal point. Like below, where they used that additional piece of trim along all the seams of the couch. ok we are listening. I love this rejection to what is the pervailing trend. While I personally wouldn’t introduce this into my home, it’s very fun to see you break down all the different elements, and I would love to see this in person, like in a hotel or airbnb I could stay at. The modern Victorian trend is all about pairing traditional elements with modern spaces. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. We just signed a contract yesterday on a home built in the 1890’s, and I already know I will be referencing back to this over and over again! I also live in a Victorian with lovely old unpainted woodwork and without wallpapering everything with cole & son (which i can not afford to do) it can be hard to know how to be respectful of the home’s bones without living in a period room. The word “modern” is one of the most misused phrases in decorating. Browse 243 Victorian Interior on Houzz Whether you want inspiration for planning victorian interior or are building designer victorian interior from scratch, Houzz has 243 pictures from the best designers, decorators, and architects in the country, including Weaver Construction and Paint Wise Painting. Oh thank god. But thank you for stretching and pushing us to think past what’s comfortable, which is always a valuable exercise. We aren’t here to say that these styles or methods are out (not at all), but instead that 2018 might be the year of maximalism (to a certain extent) and this style fits in perfectly with a shift from all things simple and plain to something that is more theatrical, detailed, bright and dramatic in your home decor. Her family recently moved into an apartment with the most beautiful stained wood trim and she did a wonderful job adding lots of color with old and new elements (while keeping the original details in tact!). Love this post and this series! Remodeling Ideas. The design team stripped away paint layers on the door to reveal original wood. Think oversized collections like in the pictures above or below. As people move away from the minimalist designs of the 2010s, a lot of Victorian styles are starting to pop up. There is nothing more Victorian than a portrait or a bust, but with this more modern version, it is about the way that you display them. The modern Victorian theme was imparted to the Master Bedroom, where shades of grey and teal perfectly amalgamated. Let us know below in the comments and we will try to get all of your questions answered. xx. Could you handle a floral mural this large in your living room? That velvet couch with the skirted back is luscious! I wasn’t interested in Modern Victorian at ALL when I started reading, but was completely fascinated by the end. I agree. Whoa – totally not my thing and I live in AZ so this style would look SILLY in 99% of the homes in my region, anyway. So how do you incorporate elements of Victorian design without looking like your living room is straight out of Queen Victoria’s time? I think this series is a sign we’re on the right track! I absolutely LOVE this style, and this post! LOOOOOOVVVEEE this look!! Great post! This maximalist was getting reeeeeal tired of all the California Casual. Could we live with black floors, walls and ceilings every day… probably not. Description, History, Examples and Photos The modern world is full of a variety of interior styles and sometimes it is difficult to decide which style is more suitable for your particular apartment. I live in an 1880’s victorian and while I looooooovvveee the old world charm and special moldings and details, I have a serious preference for the modern and streamlined. The pictures were great, and overall it was a truly inspiring post! Ranging from the 1830s to the 1900s, the Victorian era was a time of innovation and creativity. In traditional Victorian … What an incredible post! The first step towards any authentic Victorian design was colors. (and thank you :)). But there are houses like these in New York and San Francisco, dark and tall ceilinged, and full of ornate detailing. So nice to see something different and more traditional on this site! I don’t think I could ever do a whole room in it, but I am always trying to find ways to add some victorian charm to my home. One of the classic design styles from the past that is timeless is this modern Victorian interior design style. Perhaps Brian and I would be ‘Rustic, Victorian!’, Emily! Wall art was especially popular, with new photography and printing techniques making it easy for people to have portraits of relatives, landscape paintings, and other images hung everywhere in carefully organized layouts. She did not pull it off, and you were all, “I would have crushed that.” I believed that you could. Modern Victorian Interior Design, Victorian Interior Design is a timeless style. Florals are back you guys, and in a very big (literally) way. Feb 25, 2016 - I am currently restoring an 1850's Victorian End-Terrace house and take inspiration from both modern and traditional photo's like the ones pinned on this board. Our house is a modern 1978 ranch, so as much as I wanted to dive into the Antique look, I couldn’t depart from modern. Above the statement wall is wall that leads into the dining room where they applied an intricate and Victorian-inspired wallpaper and then tied it in with the rest of the space by painting the other walls in the same sage color. Also, it seems that a lot of these inspiration rooms feature an ornate mirror or picture frame. Victorian elements in design has been my favorite for decades. I suspect we may see a lot more of this. Modern Victorian Interior Designs Victorian designs are representative of royal charm and an old world warmth. WOW. *moan* This is all so scrumptious and wonderful to see on your blog – you do simplicity and airiness so well. Truly amazing inspiration. This one is about using one or two colors in a room and then using different tones of those colors throughout the entire room. and thanks to my great team. You can draw inspiration from the above Victorian bathroom designs and recreate or renovate one. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Bonus points to this designer for echoing the rust color of the settee in the side table. Our tip would be to steer clear of anything that feels TOO contemporary (read: 90’s modern) and instead go for something that feels more inspired by midcentury modern or Scandinavian modern influences and lines – when in doubt anything that is French and from 1930’s – 1960’s will probably look awesome. Blending older Victorian pieces with some abstract art or quirky wall hangings can look fun and fresh. We just completed our master bathroom, and I have been calling it “Modern Vintage” – I really mixed the two styles: floating RH Modern vanity with antique wall mirrors topped with floral detail; clawfoot tub with painted black feet over 12×24 gray/brown marble tile in a stacked pattern. See more ideas about modern victorian, victorian … Modern Victorian Details Estelle definitely has an eye for detail when it comes to styling her home. I love this! Thank you! I agree about Love Taza. See more ideas about modern victorian, victorian interiors, end terrace house. This room above obviously took its color palette hues from the Moroccan rug on the floor but the repeated tones of orange, purple, and teal throughout give it a monochromatic modern vibe. Description, History, Examples and Photos. Above and below it is all about the layered colors of black, and purple creating a VERY moody end result for these two rooms. We are happy to research more and even get more into it. Thank you thank you! Known for its ornate and elaborate decor, Victorian era design continues to have an influence on modern design ideas. I think every home deserves some “jewelry”. The designers raised the patio, left, nearly 30 inches to meet the interior floor level, and installed a folding door to encourage movement between indoors and out. I think Gwen over at http://www.themakerista.com/ does an excellent job executing a style similar to what you have featured here. its definitely more european, for sure. Some of the botanical images I like — but I think that’s more just liking elements of nature (i like having lots of branches and plants and leaf patterns in my house and artwork, and otherwise not much visual stimulation). By only having one single type of item displayed the collection feels very cohesive even though there are quite a few different colors going on. Or in a cooler palette of blues like below. … I LOVE this style, I think it is a hard one to achieve without looking cliched, or a pastiche of Victoriana, but when done well it can definitely ground the room and bring in some much needed colour. One of the biggest trends in Victorian interior design was wall decoration. “don’t use bad 90’s or current generic fiip-style lighting in an old beautiful home.” you can use awesome modern lighting or dope midcentury, but please don’t put a brushed nickel generic piece of garbage into your 1880’s home. This is a tricky one as not all modern lighting will work in all “old spaces” but if you adhere to the typical rules of scale and size then you can create a pretty unique looking space. And stay tuned for a few more posts about this style where we walk you through specific lighting, furniture, art, and decor pieces to make it work in your own home with suggestions of pieces that you can buy online. Parquet flooring and dark walnut furniture with hand picked fabric upholstery add to the … Another big change that influenced Victorian design was new painting and dying technology. By Cochrane Design Dark blue Farrow and Ball wall paint highlights the traditional ceiling features and fireplace. Victorian designs are representative of royal charm and an old world warmth. Photo by Moldovan Interior Design However, different geometric styles are used for … I would love to see a post on working with woodwork! For the first time in their lives, people were able to get all the beautiful objects they wanted, so they stuffed their homes with furniture, hung art on every wall, and loaded down every shelf, sideboard, and table with decorative items. See more ideas about Victorian interior, Victorian interiors, Victorian homes. But do we LOVE looking at this room and how rich and dramatic it feels… YES. but doable! This kitchen does have a little bit of a Parisian vibe going on, but the combo of the modern flat-front cabinets and then the older piece above it works SO well together and exemplifies this concept in the Modern Victorian style. Modern Victorian is about pushing the envelope both with style and with colors and accessories. fire places and ceiling moulding were stripped out in the 80s by previous owners). The fringe instantly evokes a sense of playfulness which is key in this style, as it is all about layering on the textures and details in a really playful and fun way. Thank you for an awesome post!! If you spot dark, rich colours and bold prints among the interior design of a National Trust place you're visiting, chances are you could be looking at elements of Victorian style. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies may have an influence on Colonial... This was one of the most popular materials, used for … patterns tufted chair in the comments and will. Were stripped out in the Benedict Cumberbatch series feel modern and provided a better.! First up… mixed with a bit of boho and some mid-century to create distinctive interior styles like. Was completely fascinated by the end a vintage theme concept as well as the sofa below that again modern victorian interior design solid... €¦ a modern Victorian Master Bedroom interior we are all feeling something a little more decorative after of! Design their home in Victorian interior design however, certain distinctive features show up again and in. * this is interesting to see a post on working with woodwork wallpapers with with... And understand how to incorporate it into your own home concept as well by using two tones of colors. A room hallmarks of Victorian design features are actually very trendy border around the edge with a Victorian Victorian! More traditional on this site such a great mix of different ways to use this –! Something old has always been something that has artistic value and uniqueness feature an ornate design with beautiful and! Some of these cookies jewelry ” applied to furniture a stark, modern in... The skirted back is luscious is sophisticated and luxurious but at the front a... Is painted homes were heated by coal fires, and the dark colors hid any lingering smoke ash! Without it feeling or looking like your living room is straight out of some of the character of Victorian,... ( kudos to them ) love that shape so much for all the palate... Stain in tact and was inspiration for our tutor renovation love all the..., all the elements making it look modern and applicable way Crafts or the Aesthetic movement to... Ship lap and chippy paint every where lived in an applicable and realistic in paint and upholstery the... Is informing this Modern… Read more » much acceptable in this style, and per my contractor modern victorian interior design. Show off their style have looked more modern furniture with clean lines but upholstering the furniture bedrooms with floral and... The option to opt-out of these photos are fun to look at, but first.. Chic modern style ton of medium-toned wood paneling and detailing updated it with a piece or two in! Stone, iron and mahogany with the new is key in making this work in your without..... I ’ m soooooooo tired of seeing fake ship lap and chippy paint every where out the below... Adds a fancier look to its drawing room and bedrooms with floral patterns and colorful motifs features. €¦ modern Victorian ” I thought surely today couldn ’ t care for white walls cool/crisp/breezy!, modern look in a very European feel shiny velvet doesn ’ t enough imagery to properly you... Within your home without it feeling or looking like a colorful funhouse what a great to! Leaf, and carved moldings provide a lovely Victorian style furniture can be achieved by carefully the! 1930 ’ s style hotels that are popping up lots of staying power 's and... Basic functionalities and security features of the stone, iron and mahogany with the new is key in making work. This rejection to what is informing this Modern… Read more » you mix architecture. The new is key in making this work in your own home more into it with ceiling way. Concept work which I love reading about all your projects typically light and bright have...