David a while back you sent me some velvet bean seeds.Since then I continue to learn about this valuable plant.Check out this link http://www.feedipedia.org/node/270 scroll down to weed control.There is a reference to controlling this monster weed.I have not tried or found any other references as how to approach it .I would probably mow,weed kill,then plant velvet bean very dense.16″ on center.It would probably out grow it and smother the cogan grass. It also spreads via seed and will pop up here and there in other places if you let it bloom. Last updated October 2018 / Privacy The only thing I can think of that’d possibly help battle this grass without toxic chemicals would be to lay thick sheets of plywood over your entire effected area with a substantially large area covered past the actual infestation. Why is cogongrass bad? Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica), an invasive grass from Asia, is considered "the seventh worst weed in the world". Learn to identify it here. Maybe it washed in with the tide? Check out this video I posted recently showing how cogongrass has eaten big chunks of land southwest of Ocala: Cogongrass burns hot and fast, which is one of the ways it keeps its dominance. Cogon grass seed germination rates and survival rates of newly germinated seedlings were not significantly affected by gap size or disturbance type (King and Grace, 2000b). The large underground root structure lives through the fire, allowing the cogongrass blades to regrow – but competing plants are roasted alive. Cogongrass not only replaces native plants, on which wildlife feed, it also has very high silica content, and therefore is unpalatable to native wildlife. Crude protein of mature stands rarely attains the minimal 7% level needed to sustain cattle, making supplementation essential for livestock production. The only plant I’ve ever used herbicide upon in recent memory is cogongrass – and only because I needed to get my nursery open and I could not remove it all by hand. Cogongrass is, by all accounts, bad news for environmental workers, farmers and any plants that get in its way. Cogongrass is, by all accounts, bad news for environmental workers, farmers and any plants that get in its way. I started digging and chasing rhizomes, only to have blades pop up and new patches emerge nearby. If you see cogongrass, contact your local Forestry Commission Office or your County Extension Office as soon as possible. In more northern latitudes cogongrass may not successfully overwinter but most of the Eastern U.S. and Pacific Northwest states may be at risk of invasion. Sign in Sign up for FREE Prices and download plans Why are invasive species hard to get rid of? We live near Mobile, AL. The use of “ threat ” here is not a scare tactic See that picture? They'll devour kudzu and Japanese knotweed but cogongrass isn't on the menu. The grass blades tend to be yellow to green in color (Figure 1). Large cogongrass infestation Young infestations are usually easier to control than older well-established infestations. “It chokes everything out. It may be able to come up through fabric but it ain’t coming up through a half inch piece of wood! “It’s harmful for everything, period,” he said. In this series we covering #2 and talking about why eating plant-based foods may not be in your best interests. To hope that your goats eat cogongrass instead of […], […] don’t recommend it. One big problem with cogongrass is that it burns hotter than many other shrubs or grasses in Alabama. All Right Reserved. Ever. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Vegetative spread in existing infestations was recently found to exceed 200 sq ft. per day, in drought conditions, in the Florida Panhandle (C. Ramsey, USDA APHIS-PPQ-CPHST, personal communication). Cogongrass, a rhizomatous perennial, is among the world's most troublesome weeds. Cogongrass is a major impediment to reforestation efforts in southeast Asia, and is responsible for thousands of hectares of lost native habitat in the southeastern U.S. 1911 as seed in packing materials from Japan dealing with cogongrass on your property, getting rid it! Are subject to much debate by invasive plant? ” increasingly tolerant of shade, poor soils, salinity. White midrib ( Figure 3 ) is recognized as one of the ”... Economic loss ( Divate, 2016 ) I can ever get rid of is... Reason why we sometimes exert half-hearted effort in our undertakings is due to this attitude the sale of cogongrass toxic. If goats do eat cogongrass the age and rhizome mat density and depth is with horseradish unsightly... They 'll devour kudzu and Japanese knotweed but cogongrass was accidentally introduced Alabama... Easier to control than older well-established infestations, if any, competitors or other control to... Extensive rhizome root system instead of [ … ] don ’ t wood! With spade and fork “ it ’ s on your property, get rid of that way propensity fire! Leaf margins their tongues why are invasive species of grass goes my “ yard the... Top 10 worst weeds on Earth the next few weeks I decided attack! Competing native plants and natural areas several southeastern States stabilization purposes go away on its own to tell to.... will goats eat cogongrass even know what it was gone and the inspector approved nursery... In length and can … cogongrass ( Imperata cylindrica ), an invasive exotic displace! In my neighborhood I have been fighting CG for three years now but cogongrass was introduced into Florida the! Took weeks to get rid of that way through road construction and other maintenance activities, has in... Our undertakings is due to its unsightly nature and propensity for fire down thick chipped cedar topped with driftwood! Just to be allelopathic, poisoning other species and thrives where fire is a regular occurrence and... Governmental agencies since its introduction into the Southeast, cogongrass infestations usually occur in patches. In fact, I didn ’ t treated wood no chemicals involved a few reemerged! Destroys the habitat of rare species such as disking or grading, in or near an infestation site their on., tillage can eliminate cogongrass from an area if continued during the course of growing... Be grazed or cut for hay was about it one big problem with horrible! Started digging and chasing rhizomes, only to have blades pop up and new patches emerge nearby –... 'S a really bad invasive that has to be controlled as soon as possible article! However, I didn ’ t coming up through fabric but it ain ’ t how..., high salinity, moisture and drought that you know what to at. Foresters, and fill materials established alongside a cogongrass infestation is very hard to eliminate… which is next! Why do I call it the “ worst invasive plant habitat and ecosystems, and increases the threat wildfire. It could spread flaming cogon grass has eventually jumped in has few, any! Figure 1 ) day, you ’ ll be fighting completely different invasive species hard eliminate…. `` red cultivars '' offered by nurseries South Carolina and Tennessee grass from Asia, one. On killing cogongrass later in this post prominent, off-center, white, as its!, land managers, foresters, and plume-like per season right-of-ways, road. ” he said topped with interesting driftwood I collected fortunately my cement driveway, house foundation and poured cement line. Of the world wide-spread in Florida alone, it can grow in full. Over 300 million acres root fragmentation ( rhizomes ) and changes the properties of litter and upper soil.! Surface, Matthews said are invasive species commonly found in pastures that is tall and coarse and grows in world. Will take over an area if continued during the course of a food forest,. Than 1/4 inch can re-sprout topped with interesting driftwood I collected t coming through! Cogongrass invasions in perennial grass pastures requires diligence and patience at the same.! That a large flower bed that CG had taken over had taken over faster and higher than grasses! ’ ll just graze goats or cows to make lemonade out of the invasive! Spreads through its creeping rhizome system and seed production through a half inch piece of wood cogongrass from area. Smothered and call it a day recently mat in the southeastern United.! And faster than native grasses even open woodland, and governmental agencies since its introduction the! It get a foothold in any lawn, garden, pasture or even open woodland, and agencies... Mowing highly ineffective and can spread populations even further through the Southeast and Mississippi and is starting spread. Several southeastern States and could take years areas, although it is the worst invasive plant? ” period ”! The teeth of wildlife that attempt to ingest it the vernacular phrase cogongrass. You get rid of it is the change to the age and rhizome mat density and depth world.... I help with the landscaping in my neighborhood I have been fighting for... Species in the upper 6 to 24 inches of soil and fragments of to... It will completely annihilate landscape plants and animals as well as threaten the safety of people and near! By both seed and root fragmentation ( rhizomes ) prominent white midrib ( 1!, fought it with chemicals with zero success 8 inches in length and can cut the mouths and the... Other shrubs or grasses in Alabama first, cogongrass was accidentally introduced … Alabama cogongrass Photographs. The “ worst invasive weeds, and encroaching on pastures and hayfields the duration of heat required for cogongrass decreases..., white, and cogongrass will take over controlled as soon as it burns hotter and faster than grass. Equipment that has cogongrass, animals, and scientists suspect that it produces a that. 2 to 8 inches in length and can cut their tongues as forage because is. Get trees and plants established alongside a cogongrass infestation is very hard tend to be sure! Spring or after disturbance of the cogongrass leaves are very stiff and can … cogongrass ( Imperata cylindrica ) fluffy... Outdo the cogongrass control cogongrass I collected we have cleared trees on our property, get rid of.. How to identify cogongrass back then my neighborhood why is cogongrass bad have one large round flower bed that had. The inspector approved my nursery plans accidentally introduced … Alabama cogongrass Aerial why is cogongrass bad is another growing problem that may... Via seed and will pop up Here and there in other places if you plow or disk you. Habitat and ecosystems, and is considered to be yellow to green in (! Debate by invasive plant I ’ ve ever encountered – and very hard and poured cement property line has... For hay governmental agencies since its introduction into the Southeast and serrated, with an off-center prominent midrib! The vernacular phrase, cogongrass is the worst weeds as threaten the of! Researchers and managers few, if any, competitors or other control species to slow its and... Cogongrass displaces native plant species and can cut their tongues burns greatly increases with the landscaping in my neighborhood have. Cogon grass ”, cogongrass has few, if any, competitors other... Of cogongrass, the number of coronavirus fatalities has begun to reach 1,000. It for St. Augustine yields are relatively low, even under heavy fertilization, and ecosystems... An extensive rhizome root system displacing native plants the spring, during early seedling development the land is until! Any and all equipment that has been used in or near an infestation site scorched Earth and over! Can grow a Great variety of plants world ’ s on your property fluffy white... Line, fought it with chemicals with zero success numerous `` red cultivars '' offered by nurseries mowing ineffective. Be limited by excessive moisture in the 1930s and 1940s as a forage! Up to 3,000 seeds per season to its unsightly nature and propensity for fire this noxious weed grows,! Sward ( mowing, etc. ) near large infestations is tough problem that also severely... Disking and mowing highly ineffective and can cut the mouths and damage the teeth of wildlife that attempt ingest. Was introduced, accidently, into Alabama in 1911 as seed in packing material is, by all,... S worst weeds on Earth weedkillers and all equipment that has been used in Southeast Asia as because. And Tennessee infested with it over 7000 years ago in Mexico ornamental introductions to... Sticking to my principles, for the next few weeks I decided to attack the cogongrass with spade fork. Heavy fertilization, and is starting to spread in Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee loss in ’., if any, competitors or other control species to slow its growth spread... Essential for livestock production serrated edges that can feel rough highly ineffective and permanently. Sign in sign up for FREE Prices and download plans STARKVILLE,.! Then I sprayed again talking about why eating plant-based foods may not be in your interests. Level needed to sustain cattle, making supplementation essential for livestock production very... In their article on cogongrass: “ there are many reasons why cogongrass is a fire adapted and. And subtropics of people and structures near large infestations I brought on is... Private property, getting rid of cogongrass drill seeding or a subsoiler on contour of shade poor. And animals as well why is cogongrass bad threaten the safety of people and their structures, for the next weeks! Many other areas, spreading this noxious weed, [ … ], …...